Reinstate Your California Drivers License With an SR22 Filing.
California Insurance Requirements for Vehicle Registration The purpose of the law is to insure that vehicles driven on California roads have liability insurance that provides financial responsibility for any damage or injury caused by a traffic accident, regardless of fault and to remove uninsured vehicles from the highways. You must carry evidence of financial responsibility (proof of insurance) in your vehicle at all times.
California Insurance code 11580.1b
* $15,000 for injury/death to one person
* $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
* $ 5,000 for damage to property
Financial responsibility must be obtained and maintained on any vehicle operated or parked on
California roadways and must be provided as specified below:
* When requested by law enforcement
* When renewing vehicle registration
* Within 30 days of issuance of registration card for vehicle being registered in California for the first time, or transfer of ownership.
* Within 45 days of the cancellation of a policy for a currently registered vehicle.
* When the vehicle is involved in a traffic accident.
You must carry evidence of financial responsibility (proof of insurance) in your vehicle at all times.
* Your driving privilege may be suspended
* Registration of your vehicle will be subject to suspension
* You may be cited
* Your vehicle may be impounded
* You may be personally liable for damages.
An SR22 Filing is a form issued by an insurance company which removes a suspension order placed by the DMV on your driving priviledge. The filing provides a guarantee to the California Department of Motor Vehicles that an insurance company has issued at least minimum liability coverage for the person making that filing; AND - that the insurance company will notify the DMV should the insurance ever lapse for any reason. We often get asked if a person can get an SR22 filing WITHOUT buying insurance - the answer is NO - because an SR22 filing is evidence of liability insurance in force.